Thursday, November 17, 2011

Accidental Parenting

Say What???

Have you heard this term? Apparently, my husband an I fell victim to accidental parenting.

For the last nine months we have allowed Mac to co-bed with us, and we held him in our arms to put him to sleep. This is a MAJOR no-no to the parenting experts of the world.

MAJOR.

I have loved having him so close, to snuggle and hold tight. I loved waking up to his silly grins and baby squeals in the morning. I loved his little hands rubbing my cheeks as he drifted off to sleep. I would not change a minute of these last nine months! Not for anything!.

That being said, we are fast approaching my return to work and Mac's beginning with a babysitter. EEK!! A babysitter who will be managing four other small children and will not have time to rock and hold my sweet little man as he drifts off.

SOooooo, this week is devoted to helping Mac fall asleep in his crib...by himself... without mommy.. his favorite person.. the one that has kept him safe all this time.. UGH. The guilt smothers me!!!

Yesterday was day one and it was full of drama! Crying endlessly, being held until the crying stopped only to be put back down in the mean crib and start all over! I can tell it's scarring him. Loads of therapy in his future!!

Overnight went much better than nap times. He went to bed with no crying at all. I laid him in the crib and stood silently beside him with my hand on his tummy for about 5 minutes. Once his eyes closed and his breathing evened out I left the room and did not have to go back in again until 1:30. I continued the had resting when he would wake up throughout the evening. By the end of the night I would remove my hand before he had fallen asleep and just stand by the crib so he could see me there. Thank you Baby Whisperer !! I wish I had read you before I had this little man!!

Now, we wait and see how today and tonight go!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, it gets easier!!! It sounds like you've got a great strategy going!! We coslept until Brees was 10 months old and so I know what you mean about the cuddling, it's so nice. But learning to fall asleep on their own is really great, he will rest so well. Good luck!! He is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete